Monday 27 January 2014

Week 1 - Building from my Chosen Concept Art

After spending majority of the week finding the perfect concept to work from I decided to go with the piece of concept art from Aardman Animation's 'Flushed Away'. What attracted me to this particular concept was the amount of detail in the environment. In the concept it gives great detail in how a small rat community would build their own city in the London sewers. When discussing the idea of this concept art with my teacher Jon we couldn't help but notice something new every time we looked at the image. Pretty much everything is made from our waste like bottles, nails and forks.

Fig. 1. Flushed Away Concept Art


However in this concept we can only see one side of the environment, I will use other pieces of concept from the film to help build from my chosen art work. In figure 2 this is another piece of concept art from the same film but this image takes place on a pillar and like the other the houses are made from human wasted objects. To help extend my chosen concept piece further by taking elements from figure 2 and placing them into the background and in other areas.  

Fig. 2. Flushed Away Concept Art

Other art from the film I can use to help develop my scene is figure 3, this piece of concept art is different from the other two concepts as the building looks industry made and constructed from various objects. That being noted there are still objects in the scene that I can use as inspiration. I could incorporate figure 3 into the background of my scene or have it facing the opposite way to main concept piece. 

Fig. 3. Flushed Away Concept Art

When I knew that I would be developing a scene from the art work Flushed Away, first thing I did was buy the film on DVD and start to screenshot images from the film to help build reference for my scene. Figure 4 is not a frame from the film that I took a screenshot from, but the buildings in the background could be great research.  

Fig. 4. Flushed Away [Film Still]


Image Reference

Fig. 1. Flushed Away [Concept Art] http://chvacher.deviantart.com/art/Flushed-Away-Concept-art-291934492 [Accessed 21.01.14]

Fig. 2. Flushed Away [Concept Art] http://www.articlesandtexticles.co.uk/2006/10/31/concept-art-for-flushed-away/ [Accessed 21.01.14]

Fig. 3. Flushed Away [Concept Art] http://www.articlesandtexticles.co.uk/2006/10/31/concept-art-for-flushed-away/ [Accessed 21.01.14]

Fig. 4. Flushed Away [Film Still] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flushed_Away [Accessed 21.01.14]

No comments:

Post a Comment